The City of Raleigh's Building Up-fit Grant supports the growth and development of small business owners who want to activate their vacant or underutilized commercial building space in Raleigh to create new business use and new jobs. You could be eligible for up to $25,000 to support property improvements through this program!
Applications for the current grant cycle are open Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 23. For a complete list of program details, FAQ, and the pre-application form, and geographic priority areas visit the Building Up-fit Grant page.
This matching reimbursement program helps small business owners invest in property improvements, by matching up to 50% of the qualified construction costs. Grant applications are submitted before any project work begins. Awarded grants are paid after construction projects are completed.
Qualified improvements include interior work such as:
- Mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing for build-out
- HVAC, fire suppression, and costs of bringing the building up to code
- Attached fixtures and/or installment of permanent fixtures, accessibility compliance, restrooms, utility upgrades, construction of new walls, and demolition of existing walls
- Support mechanisms (roofing, foundation, support beams, columns, trusses, etc.)
- Please note that residential properties, as well as properties outside of Raleigh, are not eligible. Exterior projects are also not eligible for the grant.
Learn more about the Building Up-Fit Grant from a previous awardee by viewing the video below!