Nominations are now being accepted by the Raleigh Mayor’s Committee for Persons with Disabilities (MCPD) in categories for awards that exemplify outstanding service to the disability community. MCPD helps ensure that all citizens can participate in the economic and social life of our city more fully and values the work of others who do the same. The committee recognizes individuals, companies, organizations, and groups with a shared commitment to positively impacting members of the disability community in employment, housing, transportation, and service.
MCPD hosts an annual award banquet to publicly honor those selected under each category. This year, MCPD is accepting nominations in ten categories.
Please complete the Mayor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities Award Nomination Form by September 18.
- Employer of the Year: Employer demonstrated outstanding achievements for the improvement of employment opportunities for persons with disabilities '
- Citizen Involvement Award: Individual, facility, institution, or agency that has contributed to advancing opportunities for individuals with disabilities
- Lockhart Follin-Mace Award: Individual who has demonstrated advocacy over an extended period of time and served as a role model. Considerations may include advocacy on the community, state or national levels for promoting self-determination by people with disabilities, and cross-disability activities.
- James E. Meekins Award: individual with a disability who is recognized for his/her outstanding achievement in the workplace and for significant contributions that increase public awareness of individuals with disabilities.
- Excellence in Transportation: Organization that has contributed significantly to the quality of life of people with disabilities through creating expanded access to transportation in Raleigh.
- Excellence in Housing: Organization that has contributed significantly to the quality of life of people with disabilities by creating expanded access to housing opportunities in the community.
- Excellence in Recreation: Individual, organization or municipality that has contributed significantly to the quality of life of people with disabilities by promoting inclusion and creating expanded access to a variety of recreational and leisure opportunities in the community
- Media Award: Recognize and honor excellence in television, print, or media content concerning the empowerment and employment of individuals with disabilities. All entries must show positive representations of people with disabilities in situations or activities that reinforce empowerment, inclusion and mainstreaming
- Supervisor of the Year: Individual who has significantly contributed to empowering people with disabilities in the workplace
- Excellence in Education: Individual or organization that has contributed significantly to the quality of life of people with disabilities through creating expanded access to academic enrichment in Raleigh