April 9, 2020 Canceled
View Environmental Advisory Board agendas
Raleigh Municipal Building
222 W. Hargett Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Meeting minutes are now posted on the meeting agenda website, BoardDocs, after they are approved by the Board.
We moved to BoardDocs in June of 2019. View minutes from June 2019 to present there.
(zip file downloads for items older than June 2019):
The public is welcome to attend.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list for the meetings or if you would like to contact a member, please e-mail us.
The Environmental Advisory Board is an all volunteer board created by the City Council in 2006. The City Council established the board to advise them on matters related to environmental quality and to promote communication between various governmental units and the public on environmental protection standards and policies including communication. The City Council also deemed it in the public interest and affirmed the importance of protecting the environment by creating the board that provides the Council with expert and comprehensive advice on various matters related to environmental quality and safety.
The specific actions that have been taken by the City Council from the board are:
- The establishment of a goal of 20 percent reduction in fossil fuel consumption by the city fleet from 2006 levels within five years;
- Established Energy Efficient Building Standards - LEED Silver Certification for all new city construction and additions encompassing 10,000 gross square feet or more;
- Endorsed the U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, committing to develop a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Strategy for the City of Raleigh;
- Accepted the comments and suggestions from the board's collaborative review of the environmental policies in the 2030 Comprehensive Plan to enhance the sustainable aspects;
- Received the report from the board on development incentives and policies that encourage sustainable practices among private development and which would be the most applicable to Raleigh; and,
- Supports the City of Raleigh's Annual Environmental Awards program.
- Raleigh became a member of Bee City USA in 2017. This is a joint effort between the city and community partners to continue to educate the public and provide support for pollinators and habitats in Raleigh. Raleigh has committed to create sustainable habitats for pollinators.
|Environmental Advisory Board|
|Ben Bobay||Jamie Cole||Aranzazu Lascurain||Anya Gordon|
|Beverley Clark||Linda Watson||Justin Senkbeil|