Who is Eligible for MWBE Certification?
According to General Statute (143-128.2) a “minority business” is defined as:
- At least 51 percent owned and controlled by one or more minority persons or socially and economically disadvantaged individuals. The statute also includes corporations in which at least 51% of stock is owned by one or more minority or socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.
- The statute defines the term “minority person” as the following: Black, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian, Female
- A "socially and economically disadvantaged individual" is defined by reference to a federal statute (15 U.S. C. § 637). Socially disadvantaged individuals are "those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as a member of a group without regard to their individual qualities". Economically disadvantaged individuals "are those socially disadvantaged individuals whose ability to compete in the free enterprise system has been impaired due to diminished capital and credit opportunities as compared to others in the same business that are not socially disadvantaged".
View Current Bids: RFPs/RFQs
How to Become a City of Raleigh MWBE Supplier?
Registration not only certifies you to do business with the City of Raleigh as an MWBE but also makes you eligible for work with the State of North Carolina.
1. Certify with one or both of the following agencies:
|NCDOA Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUB)||1336 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-1336
|NCDOT Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (DBE)||1511 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699
DBE Certification Officer
2. Sign up as a supplier with the City of Raleigh
Once your business is an approved certified MWBE visit our Doing Business with City page to register as a vendor or supplier.