Prerequisites Approvals or Permits Issued Key Steps in the Process Expected Processing Time Fees Next Steps
Sketch Plan Review is a voluntary, paid service in which applicants meet with a multi-departmental team of reviewers to discuss site plan design. During the review, applicants receive high level regulatory-based guidance intended to reduce future review cycles, expedite project timelines, and open lines of communication with staff.
Note: A Sketch Plan Review is a high level overview of a proposed project. It is not a intended to be a formal review, and it is the Applicant's responsibility to meet all applicable UDO and other code requirements. Staff may only be able to provide comments pertaining to the current zoning of the property.
For rezoning information, please see the Zoning and Rezoning webpage.
There are no prerequisites to Sketch Plan Review. Customers that are seeking assistance with the site plan design process may attend a Sketch Plan Review prior to formally submitting their site plan for review.
Approvals or Permits Issued
No permits or approvals are issued as a result of the Sketch Plan Review.
Key Steps in the Process
1. Schedule the review by completing the Express Review Scheduler online. Property information is available via iMaps. Applicants are encouraged to submit questions in advance so that staff my perform required research before the review (there are designated spaces on the application for such questions).
Sketch Plan Reviews may be scheduled from 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 10 a.m.
2. Receive confirmation from an Express Coordinator that the application has been accepted, and if the scope of the submittal appears to be consistent with the Sketch Plan Review service. If so, the Coordinator will send an email to the project's contact person confirming the scheduled date and time of the review (the meeting will be scheduled in the next available time slot). If that date or time is not convenient for the applicant, the Coordinator will reply with alternative available slots. If the scope of work described on the application exceeds the scope of a Sketch Plan Review, the Coordinator will suggest an alternative option. If the application is not complete, the Coordinator will reply with instructions on how to resolve the issue.
Cancellation Policy: If for any reason you must cancel a scheduled Sketch Plan Review, please do so no less than five (5) business days prior to the review. Failure to do so will forfeit the $624 Sketch Plan review fee.
THE DAY OF THE REVIEW
1. Arrive before the scheduled time. Meeting participants must check-in on the fourth floor of One Exchange Plaza at least five minutes prior to the scheduled time. If the applicant is not on time, the review will be subject to cancellation. All reviews will end promptly after sixty (60) minutes as scheduled.
2. Participate in the review. Customers are encouraged to ask questions and take thorough notes throughout the review. Staff will also provide their comments following the meeting.
3. Provide feedback. Customers will receive a staff contact sheet with all reviewers' information. At the bottom of the sheet is a link to the Customer Service Survey portal. Feedback, both positive and negative, is encouraged to gauge how we're serving our customers.
The flat fee for the Sketch Plan Review is $624.00 per session.
Fees are due within two (2) business days of the confirmation email. If fees are not received within that time, the review will be cancelled.
Applicants will receive staff comments during the review to aid in the site design process. These comments will be sent to applicants electronically following the review. It is important to note that if project details change between the time of the Sketch Plan Review and formal plan submittal, staff comments will be different based on the changes.
Applicants are encouraged to provide feedback about their Sketch Plan Review experience. Instructions to do so will be provided following the review.
As our customers conclude the Sketch Plan Review and prepare for submittal, it is likely that they will want to consider a face-to-face review service. Due to very high demand, the City has expanded their offering of such services. Face-to-face services often result in expedited review times, and provide an opportunity for customers and reviewers to sit down together to resolve issues and finalize plans for permit issuance. Additional information can be found on the Face-to-Face Services webpage.