All picnic shelters are first-come, first-served unless a formal reservation is in place.
Smoking, Grills, and Open Flame
- No open flames are allowed in the park unless confined in grills. No fires of any kind should be made outside of park hours of operation. Candles, sparklers, torches, or similar fire-related items are not allowed at any time.
- Personal grills must be at least 15 feet away from shelter and trees. Charcoal from personal grills must be safely disposed of off-site. Propane grills or fryers must be accompanied by a fire extinguisher; ask staff for what type of extinguisher different apparatus require.
- Smoking is not allowed at shelters or on the Greenway; the only acceptable smoking areas at Lake Johnson Park are the parking lots. Cigarette butts must be disposed of properly.
Decorations and Clean Up
- All trash must be disposed of in trash bins during/after rental. Please notify park staff if the trash needs to be emptied during your event.
- Due to the facility’s “nature park” status and concern for native wildlife, renters may not toss confetti or similar items outdoors (rice, birdseed, natural or artificial plant materials, etc.). Likewise, balloon releases are not allowed. Floating objects may not be released into the lake.
- No signs, decorations, etc., may be nailed into shelter structures or trees; any permissible decorations must be removed following picnic shelter use. The City of Raleigh is not responsible for items left after rentals.
- All animals must be on a physical leash, and owners must pick up pet waste.
- Please do not feed wildlife, including ducks and other birds. Please see the park office for more information if you have questions.
- Absolutely no alcohol of any kind. Alcohol is not allowed on park premises.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Do not drive on Greenway to access shelters.
If you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to contact the facility manager at 919-996-3141. Thank you for your patronage!