Five percent of outside or unclassified grill fires in Raleigh occurred in a lawn, field or open area. Make sure to do the following in order to prevent a grill fire:
Placement of Grill
Place grill on a non-combustible surface. Make sure your grill is 10 feet away from any structures
Starting your grill
How to get your fire started will depend on your fuel type
There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to ignite the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel:
- Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas and foot traffic.
- Keep children and pets, and anything that can burn like food wrappers, an oven mitt or towel, at least 3-feet away from open flames and the grill.
- Use long-handled grilling tools to give the chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames.
- Always have an adult present when grilling. You should never leave cooking/grilling unattended!
Shutting down propane grill
To keep excess gas from leaking, turn the gas tank off first and then turn off the grill burners.
Dispose of charcoal after cooking
- Empty the coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that is used only to collect coals
- Place the container outside and away from anything that can burn
- Never empty coals directly into a trash can