For a water customer to be considered in compliance, all domestic, irrigation, and fire services to your facility or residence are required to be contained with an approved backflow assembly. This is achieved by a dual check device on the meter yoke for residential customers who do not have an irrigation and/or fire sprinkler system. For those customers who have a commercial water account or irrigation and/or fire sprinkler system, an approved backflow assembly is required according to the hazard.
Schedule an Express or Standard Review
If you wish to schedule either an Express or Standard Review, all water services must be verified to have proper backflow protection prior to submitting building plans.
- This verification process begins when you submit a Certificate of Compliance application to the Cross Connection office.
- Upon receipt of a completed application and verification that your facility is contained with the proper backflows, you will receive a letter granting a Certificate of Compliance.
- This approval letter must be digitally affixed when submitting plans for review with the City of Raleigh’s Development Services Department. A Certificate of Compliance will be valid until the next scheduled test due date.
- Completed applications may be faxed, emailed, or mailed to the Cross Connection Office. Completed forms will be processed within fifteen (15) business days.
- Certificate of Compliance Application - New Construction Form
- Certificate of Compliance Application - Existing Services Form
- Certificate of Compliance Application - New Residential Irrigation Service Form
How to Submit
Please submit a completed application and pdf copy of plans showing the location of all water meters (domestic & irrigation)/location of containment assembly(ies) and fire service line(s)/location of containment assembly(ies) to the Cross Connection Program:
- Fax: 919-996-1868
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail to: City of Raleigh
c/o: Cross Connection Program
3304 Terminal Dr. Bldg 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Temporary Certificate of Compliance
If we find that your facility or residence is properly contained, but does not have current test reports on file with the Cross Connection Program, you will be given a letter granting a Temporary Certificate of Compliance. This temporary certificate will allow you to start your water service by giving you fifteen (15) business days to have all containment backflows tested and paperwork submitted to our office. If you fail to submit the proper paperwork to our office within fifteen (15) business days, water service to your facility or residence will be terminated. A Temporary Certificate of Compliance may be used when submitting building plans for review to validate there is proper backflow protection at the facility.
Facilities that do not have approved containment backflow assemblies installed will not be given water service or a Certificate of Compliance. Upon installation of all approved containment backflow assemblies, a letter granting a Temporary Certificate of Compliance will be given allowing the water customer to have all backflows tested and inspected and the paperwork submitted to our office. Once a Temporary Certificate of Compliance is given and you fail to submit the proper paperwork to our office within fifteen (15) business days, water service to your facility or irrigation system will be terminated.