Make Your Own Cardboard Robot Costume Painting Still Life: Sunflowers Make Your Own Water Lilies Independent Play Make Your Own Glass Lantern Watercolor Painting Basics 3D Hand Drawing Humming Bird Food Easy Batik Watercolor Painting: Chickens Leafy Spring Prints Paper Making Rainbow Scratch Art Solar S'Mores Make Your Own No-Sew Reusable Bag Make Your Own Bubbles at Home Sensory-Friendly Lava Lamp Fort Building Make Your Own Pinwheel Puffy Sidewalk Chalk Puppet Show Color Rice Bins Sidewalk Chalk Butterfly Ancient Egyptian Headdress Make Your Own Cereal Jewelry Australian Aboriginal Dot Painting Nature Scavenger Hunt Shadow Box Other Helpful Resources
Give your kids some activities for Independent Play!
Watercolor Painting Basics
"Introduction to Watercolor" with artist Rick Bennett is one of the Pullen Arts Center's most popular classes. In this 25 minute demo, Rick will show you what you need to start painting with this fun and fluid medium at home!
3D Hand Drawing
Create your own 3D hand drawing masterpiece!
Make your own beautiful batik dyed fabric at home!
Watercolor Painting: Chickens
Join Pullen Arts Center's watercolor instructor, Rick Bennett, for a lesson where Rick demonstrates all of the techniques you need to be successful in watercolor painting while he paints his backyard chickens.
Leafy Spring Prints
Make your own spring leaf prints from home!
Recycle old newspapers and magazines to make your own paper.
Rainbow Scratch Art
This magical art project creates a rainbow scratch masterpiece!
Create a solar oven to prepare s’mores without a fire!
- Plastic wrap
- Black construction paper
- Aluminum foil
- Graham crackers
Sensory-Friendly Lava Lamp
Create your own sensory-friendly lava lamp at home. Follow the instructions here or watch the how-to video below!
Sensory-Friendly Lava Lamp
Make Your Own Pinwheel
Puffy Sidewalk Chalk
Take your sidewalk art to the next level with this new and improved version – Puffy Sidewalk Chalk!
- ½ a bar of sidewalk chalk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon of dish soap
- Squeeze bottle
See our video below for how to:
Make your own puppets and have a puppet show!
Color Rice Bins
Create color rice bins for a fun activity!
Sidewalk Chalk Butterfly
Create a beautiful geometric pattern sidewalk chalk butterfly!
Ancient Egyptian Headdress
Create an Ancient Egyptian headdress you can wear!
Make Your Own Cereal Jewelry
- Yarn, string or ribbon
- Circular shaped cereal (with holes)
- Cut desired length of string/yarn/ribbon for either a necklace or bracelet
- Tie a knot at one end of the string.
- Slide the cereal onto the string - leave some space at the end.
- Tie the ends together to finish the piece of jewelry.
- Make multiple pieces to layer together or enjoy them as a fun snack!
Australian Aboriginal Dot Painting
Make your own Aboriginal dot painting!
Nature Scavenger Hunt Shadow Box
- Go on a Scavenger Hunt to collect nature items.
- Pour glue into shoebox lid - tilt lid to cover the entire bottom (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Arrange nature items in the shadow box.
- Allow the glue to dry for at least 1 hour.
- Splatter paint into the box for more fun!
- Nature items
- Bag (to collect items in)
- Shoebox lid
- Liquid glue
- Paint & paintbrushes (optional)