Annual Wellness Assessment Program 2021 Health Risk Assessment and Nicotine Agreement Biometric Screening AWA Communication Contact
Annual Wellness Assessment Program 2021
COVID-19 NOTICE: The screening events will be offered using the recommended CDC and State guidelines.
The 2021 Annual Wellness Assessment (AWA) program begins March 31, 2021 continues until August 31, 2021.
This is employees’, retirees’ and their covered spouses’ opportunity to participate and become eligible for a health insurance premium discount.
The AWA program consists of three components:
- Nicotine-free agreement
- Health risk assessment (HRA) questionnaire
- Biometric screening
Employees, retirees (if applicable; please see below) and their covered spouses (if applicable) are individually required to complete all three AWA components to be eligible for the health insurance premium discount beginning Jan. 1, 2022. All that are enrolled in the City of Raleigh's BCBSNC medical plan beginning July 1, 2021, will need to participate in order to earn the premium discount for the 2022 Medical Plan Year.
Retirees and retiree spouses enrolled in Medical Plan A must individually complete all three components of the program to be considered AWA-compliant. Retirees and retiree spouses enrolled in Medical Plan B are not required to participate in the AWA, however, they are encouraged to do so for health awareness or if they are planning on switching to Medical Plan A during the Fall Open Enrollment.
The deadline to complete your components is August 31, 2021.
Health Risk Assessment and Nicotine Agreement
1. Online Health Risk Assessment and
2. Nicotine-Free Agreement or Tobacco Free Journey
Create a Virgin Pulse platform account. If you are already a member, click “Sign In” at the top right corner of the webpage. You will use the account to complete the online health risk assessment questionnaire and online nicotine-free agreement or tobacco-free “journey” offered by Virgin Pulse through the platform. Eligible spouses will need to complete these steps through their individual accounts.
NOTE: It is recommended that you complete both components 1 and 2 before attending a scheduled biometric screening appointment.
City-Offered Event Option:
Schedule your appointment for a biometric health screening. This is a check-in on important health indicators such as blood pressure and cholesterol. The City is scheduled to provide on-site biometric screenings between July 9 and August 11, 2021.
- You must make an appointment in order to attend one of the City’s on-site biometric screening session.
Primary Care Provider Option:
If you choose to have your screening done by your primary care provider, print out the Biometric Screening Verified form located on the “Benefits” page of your Virgin Pulse account. Your healthcare provider must complete the entire form. You are responsible for submitting the completed and signed (by you and your health care provider) form to Virgin Pulse using one of the following:
- Preferred method: Online portal -
Login to your Virgin Pulse account, click on “Benefits” to locate the form and click “Start Now”. Then select “Upload Form” to choose your completed biometric form to upload to your Virgin Pulse portal.
- Fax: 401-735-5853
- Your primary care provider cannot fax the biometric form on your behalf. It is highly recommended that you keep a copy of your fax receipt for your records.
Here’s how we are communicating with employees and retirees about the 2021 Annual Wellness Assessment program:
- Mailing to all employee and retiree home addresses: Look for your information packet from the City’s Human Resources Department with step-by-step instructions on how to be AWA-compliant. Recipients will receive their packets late spring.
- Quarterly enrollment and engagement email reminders from Virgin Pulse: These emails will only go out to members who are not enrolled already or engaged in the platform to participate in the AWA and wellness programs.
- Automated text messages and emails from the Human Resources Department: These are planned to go out to all active and retired employees enrolled in the City’s health plan with reminders about completing the AWA process to realize savings in health care premiums.
- Virtual AWA informational sessions: These sessions will be held in June. Register now for these WebEx events:
Human Resources is partnering with Virgin Pulse to administer the AWA program. You can contact Virgin Pulse customer support at 888-671-9395. You can also access a representative through Live Chat or the firstname.lastname@example.org once you log in to your account. Or call the City of Raleigh Human Resources at 919-996-3315.