Over the past several months, Raleigh Parks has worked diligently to recruit and hire staff for various positions. Even with increases in compensation, extensive advertising, and hiring events, we do not have the staffing level necessary to maintain the full operation of some Raleigh Parks services. We will continue recruiting efforts and reassess throughout the summer, with the priority always being the safety and experience of our park visitors.
Waterfront Operations at Lake Johnson and Lake Wheeler
- Effective June 20, Lake Wheeler Park will be open daily from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Effective July 8, visitors may rent watercraft at Lake Johnson Waterfront Center Friday-Sunday by registering in advance for an “open paddle” program online through RecLink. Walk-up watercraft rentals will not be available.
- Effective June 6, the Pullen Amusements train and carousel will be open daily from 10 a.m.to 6 p.m.
- Pedal Boats are currently open for the season daily until mid-August from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Starting in mid-August, availability will shift to weekends only.
- Pullen Amusements will resume pedal boat rentals, carnival games, and pop-up programming throughout the summer.
- John Chavis Memorial Park carousel will continue to operate on a modified schedule. It is currently open Tuesday and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5:30 p.m.
- Buffaloe Road, Millbrook, Optimist, Biltmore, Lake Johnson, and Longview Pool will be open Monday, July 4th – 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for Recreation and Lap Swim.
- Pullen Aquatic Center will be closed on Monday, July 4th.
- Effective June 10, Biltmore Hills and Longview seasonal pools will operate Friday-Sunday rotating with one facility open each weekend. We are actively recruiting staff, and when possible, Lake Johnson and Ridge Road pools will be added to the rotation, allowing us to open two pools each weekend.
- Update - Effective the weekend of June 24, 2022, the Aquatic program has hired and trained enough staff to allow Biltmore, Lake Johnson, and Longview Pools to operate every weekend through the 3rd weekend in August. The pools will open for Recreation Swim Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Ridge Road Pool is closed. The pool will not reopen until after the arrival, installation, and testing of a critical piece of equipment. We do not yet have an estimated date for reopening, but updates will be posted on this page as they become available.
- Year-round lap pools (Millbrook, Optimist, and Pullen) will continue to operate daily. Seasonal amenities will be open as staffing levels allow.
- Buffaloe Road Aquatic Center will open to the public for lessons and recreational swimming Monday-Friday from 4 to 7 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- Raleigh Parks will continue summer camp operations, serving 1,100 campers per week over nine weeks.
- Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources