The Pre-Submittal Conference is an opportunity for clients to meet with staff of various disciplines to discuss construction projects prior to submission for review. While clients are encouraged to bring plans to the conference, it is not a formal plan review. It is a detailed Q & A, fact-finding session. The Pre-Submittal conference will be tailored to suit the needs of the client. Clients will decide which trades need to be represented at the conference and the session will be designed accordingly.
All Pre-Submittal conferences provide a face-to-face preliminary review of plans by any combination of staff representing the building trades only. Site issues will not be discussed in these sessions.
Pre-Submittal Conferences are scheduled for the Building trades only (i.e. Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical) and are available Monday through Friday at 1:30 p.m.
The following project types are eligible for a Pre-Submittal conference:
- New construction
- Interior completion
- Change of occupancy
- Alteration to shell
Projects with site-related issues are not eligible for Pre-Submittal Conferences. If you would like a high level review of the site, you may schedule a Sketch Plan Review.
The only pre-requisite to scheduling the Pre-Submittal conference is to have a property address and the Property Identification Number (PIN). To obtain this information, please visit iMaps to research your parcel or visit the Wake County Register of Deeds website.
Once this information is obtained, please proceed to the step-by-step process below.
Please note that while conferences may be conducted with our without plans, clients are strongly encouraged to bring plans on the day of the conference. If you desire a more detailed review of the project, please plan to bring at least one full set of plans for each trade reviewer.
Step By Step Process
Step 1: Read the Pre-Submittal Conference process description and complete the prerequisite
Step 2: Schedule the Pre-Submittal Conference
Complete the Express Review Scheduler online.
Step 3: Submit Pre-Submittal Conference Application within two (2) business days of scheduling
Submit a completed Pre-Submittal Conference Application within two (2) business days of tentatively scheduling. The application may be emailed to an Express Scheduling Coordinator (see link above). When the application is received, staff will send an email to the project contact confirming the transaction number, and the date and time of the conference. If the application is not received within two (2) business days of scheduling, the tentative date will be cancelled
Step 4: All participants shall arrive at or before the scheduled time
Meeting participants must check-in at the Planning and Development Customer Service Center on the fourth floor of One Exchange Plaza at least five minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Step 5: Pre-Submittal conference will be conducted
Verbal comments will be entered for your project following the review. Clients may access comments via the Permit and Development Portal following the close of business on the day of the conference.
Based on availability, Pre-Submittal conferences may be scheduled as follows:
- Monday through Friday at 1:30 p.m.
Conferences are scheduled for a minimum of one hour. If additional time is requested, clients will be billed in quarter-hour increments following the first hour.
All items listed below must be submitted to the Express Scheduling Coordinator as indicated to avoid cancellation and loss of deposit:
Due within forty-eight (48) business hours of requesting conference date:
- Completed Pre-Submittal Conference Application Note: An email confirmation will be sent when the application is received.
- Deposit equal to one hour of review (See the Fees section below for refund information.)
Day of the conference:
- Pre-submittal conferences may be conducted with or without plans. Clients are strongly encouraged to bring in one complete set of plans for each building trade reviewer requested to attend the conference.
- The minimum plan size is 24 x 36.
Where Do I Submit My Pre-Submittal Conference Application?
- A deposit equal to one (1) hour will be required at the time of confirmation.
- If the conference exceeds one (1) hour and additional fees are due, the balance will be collected immediately following the conference.
- No projects will be accepted for review until all outstanding fees have been paid in full.
- $600 for the first hour (regardless of how many trade reviewers are requested).
- $150 for each additional 15 minute increment.
- The deadline to cancel a Pre-Submittal conference is five (5) business days prior to the conference (i.e. If the conference is scheduled on Tuesday, it must be cancelled by close of business on the preceding Tuesday.)
- Cancellation fees are as follows and are deducted from the deposit paid at the time of scheduling:
- A first-time cancellation fee of one-quarter hour will be charged, if requested on or before the five (5) day deadline.
- If a second request is made to cancel, a fee of one-half hour will be charged, if requested on or before the five (5) day deadline.
- If a third request is made to cancel, the full deposit will be forfeited.
- If a review is canceled after the five (5) day deadline, regardless of the number of times it has been cancelled, the one-hour deposit will be forfeited.
- If a client fails to cancel and is a "no-show" on the day of the conference, the one-hour deposit will be forfeited.
- The deadline to re-schedule is five (5) business days prior to the conference (i.e. If scheduled on Tuesday, it must be rescheduled by close of business on the preceding Tuesday.)
- Re-scheduling fees are as follows and are deducted from the deposit paid at the time of scheduling:
- A first time re-scheduling fee of one-quarter hour will be charged, if requested on or before the five (5) day deadline.
- If a second request is made to re-schedule, a fee of one-half hour will be charged, if requested on or before the five (5) day deadline.
- If a third request is made to re-schedule, the full deposit will be forfeited.
- If re-scheduled after the five (5) day deadline, regardless of the number of times it has been cancelled, the one-hour deposit will be forfeited.
See the Development Fee Guide for additional fee information.
Accepted payment types:
- Check made payable to: City of Raleigh
All fees are processed by the Planning and Development Customer Service Center located at One Exchange Plaza, Suite 400.