Existing Private Well and Wastewater (Septic) Systems

Jump To:

Prerequisites Submittal Requirements Expected Processing Time Fees

This is a procedure for processing residential permits on property that has an existing private well or wastewater (septic) system. This procedure applies to permits to construct:

  • Accessory structures
  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Attached and detached garages
  • Bedroom conversion to heated square footage
  • Geothermal wells
  • Swimming pools


  • A septic permit application must be submitted to Wake County Department of Environmental Services and the Wake County permit number must be provided on the City of Raleigh residential permit application.
  • Contractor information (contractor license, contact information, workers compensation, liability insurance, etc.) must be complete, current and valid in the City of Raleigh Contractor file. Contact the Planning and Development Customer Service Center to confirm the accuracy of all required data.

Submittal Requirements

Type Description
Required for Submittal

This project type falls under the Minor Permitting process. Please visit the Minor Encroachments for more information on what is needed for this type of project. 

  • Permit Application (located at the top of the forms directory in the "Most Popular Selections box).
  • Two copies of a plot plan signed and sealed by an N.C. licensed land surveyor; if the project involves an addition, a plot plan must be drawn to engineering scale and submitted on sheets no larger than 8 1/2 x 14 inches.
  • Approved Existing Private Well and Waste Water Systems Form, see prerequisites.

Expected Processing Time

Please see our development review turnaround times.


  • See Development Fee Guide for specific fees.
  • Permit fees are due before permits are issued.
  • The Planning and Development Customer Service Center process payments.
    • Payment types include: cash, MasterCard, Visa, or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
  • You can also pay fees online via a registered account in the Permit and Development Portal. 





Lead Department:
Planning and Development
Service Categories:
Permits - Residential