Addressing the Needs of People with Disabilities and their Families
The committee helps people with disabilities to participate in the economic and social life of the community. To this end, the committee promotes employment of people with disabilities and communicates their needs to local leaders and the public. The committee also sponsors activities benefiting people with disabilities and their families.
- Advise the mayor and City Council on matters of concern to citizens with disabilities.
- Address environmental and attitudinal barriers preventing equal access by citizens with disabilities to education, recreation, employment, transportation, and housing.
- Promote public awareness of the talents and abilities of persons with disabilities.
- Inform citizens with disabilities of programs, services and opportunities available to them within the public and private sectors.
- Awards Banquet
At the annual awards banquet, the committee recognizes outstanding contributions by individuals or groups who have made a significant impact on the community of persons with disabilities. Awards include:
- Employer of the Year (small, medium, and large categories)
- Citizen Involvement Award
- Lockhart Follin-Mace Advocacy Award
- James E. Meekins Award for an individual with a disability
- Excellence in Transportation
- Excellence in Housing
- Excellence in Recreation
- Media Award (television, print, radio categories)
- Supervisor of the Year