The City of Raleigh's Building Upfit Grant encourages growth and development by assisting small business owners who want to activate their vacant or underutilized commercial building space in Raleigh and create new business use and new jobs. This matching reimbursement program helps small business owners invest in property improvements, by matching up to 50% of the qualified construction costs (certain limits apply - see program details).
Applications for the grant are open from Friday, June 24 through Sunday, July 17. For a complete list of program details, FAQ, and the pre-application form, visit the Building Up-fit Grant page.
Qualified improvements include interior work such as:
- Mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing for build-out
- HVAC, fire suppression, and costs of bringing the building up to code
- Attached fixtures and/or installment of permanent fixtures, accessibility compliance, restrooms, utility upgrades, construction of new walls, and demolition of existing walls
- Support mechanisms (roofing, foundation, support beams, columns, trusses, etc.)
- Residential properties and properties outside of Raleigh are not eligible. Exterior projects are not eligible.
Grant applications are submitted before any project work begins. Awarded grants are paid after construction projects are completed. After the final inspection, business owners will need to provide paid invoices and receipts for their construction expenses.
Questions? Please email Mark Weldon, Small Business Development Manager, or call the Housing and Neighborhoods Department at 919-996-4330.