Prerequisites Approvals or Permits Issued Submittal Requirements Additional Information Expected Processing Time Fees Next Steps
A property owner must obtain a zoning permit for the construction of any new front yard driveway or expansion of front yard parking for a single-family detached home or duplex dwelling.
Citywide Parking Regulations:
- Driveways and parking within the front yard of single-family detached dwellings must be constructed of non-erodible surfaces such as asphalt, concrete or pavers or four inches of gravel with permanent borders. Driveways and parking may cover a maximum of 40 percent of a front yard.
Special Residential Parking Overlay District Parking Regulations:
- Driveways and parking within the front yard of single family detached dwellings must be constructed of non-erodible surfaces such as asphalt, concrete or pavers or four inches of gravel with permanent borders. Otherwise, parking must be restricted to single-file parking in front of the driveway cut.
- Parking must be limited to the driveway plus an area to accommodate two additional parking spaces of 380 square feet or 40 percent of the front yard area, whichever is less. This regulation applies to gravel, grass or other non-erodible surfaces constructed after July 19 2012, when the regulation became effective. Surfaces of asphalt, concrete or pavers that exceed the maximum may remain if they existed prior to July 19, 2012.
- Vegetative screening is required for new parking spaces that face the side property line. Screening is required along the side of the parking space parallel to the street.
|Required for Submittal||
- Permit fee is due with submittal of application
- The Development Services Customer Service Center processes payments
- Payment types include cash, MasterCard, Visa or check made payable to the City of Raleigh
- See Development Fee Schedule for current permit fee