How To Finish An Enclosed Space

Jump To:

Before You Start What You'll Need Scheduling an Inspection Fee Information Project Turnaround Times

Important Notice:

The processes below may have changed due to COVID-19. Please visit our Planning and Development information page for the most up to date processes and procedures.

Before you start construction to finish an enclosed space in your home, you must obtain the proper permits from the City of Raleigh. Permits are required whether you are doing the work yourself or employing a contractor. The work also must pass inspection to ensure that the project complies with all applicable construction codes. Below is a helpful step by step process for enclosing a space on your home.

Before You Start

What You'll Need

This type of project falls under the category of Minor Permitting. Please visit this page for what is required, including how and where you can submit your application for this project.

Scheduling an Inspection

Inspections should be scheduled via a registered account on the Permit and Development Portal.

Fee Information

The City of Raleigh Development Fee Schedule is available online for information regarding specific fees. Fees can be paid at either of our locations using cash, Mastercard, Visa, or check made payable to the City of Raleigh. You can also make payments online via the Permit and Development Portal. 

Project Turnaround Times

View information on project turnaround times.



Planning and Development
Customer Service Center

Lead Department:
Planning and Development
Service Categories:
Permits - Residential