Project Overview Deadline Budget How to Apply
- The City of Raleigh Department of Transportation in partnership with Raleigh Arts invites artists to submit artwork for an artwork display on Downtown Trash Receptacles
- Artists do not need to create a brand new artwork but are instead encouraged to submit previous artwork from their portfolio
- Selected artists will receive an $800 honorarium
- Four artists will be selected to have their artwork displayed
- The application deadline is May 1, 2022
- Read the complete artist call document
- Apply Online
Eligibility is open to artists, 18 years of age or older, residing, working, exhibiting or attending school in the Triangle Area.
The City of Raleigh is looking to spruce up Big Belly Trash Receptacles around downtown Raleigh and to provide an opportunity for local artists to showcase their talent. The City will install poster-like artworks on the sides of the cans which will display local artwork. The artwork will remain installed for at least one year and be high-visibility.
If selected, artists will be responsible for providing their designs in a high resolution and large-scale digital format. Staff will be available to answer questions and provide feedback to the nine selected artists.
- The artwork will be printed at 150 PPI @ 100% scale (300 PPI @ 50% scale, etc.)
- Please use these dimensions 32” high x 20” wide, which accounts for a 1-inch bleed in all directions. Finished panels will be 30 h x 18 w
- File size should be around 50 MB or less. If you are having trouble with a large file, please reach out for assistance
- Work in Adobe CMYK color mode for best results
- Please submit as PDF, EPS, TIFF, JPEG, or AI (listed here by preference)
- If working with layers, please flatten the image before submitting, and convert all text to outlines (to avoid missing fonts)
- Artists should keep in mind passenger and vehicle visibility requirements when creating their designs. Avoid the use of artwork elements that look like traffic signs or signals (for example arrows, red octagons, etc)
- Text and letters are permitted when used as part of the overall design
- Artists can include their signature and a hashtag (but no websites or social media handles)
Design proposals and their copyright will belong to the artists. The City of Raleigh reserves the right to use images of the designs and for review and project promotional purposes.
Read the complete artist call document to learn about the timeline, selection process, and more.
All materials must be received no later than Sunday, May 1 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Incomplete or late submittals will not be considered.
The City will cover the cost of printing artwork and installing the artwork downtown. Selected artists are responsible for creating artwork in a print-ready digital format. Artist honorarium: $800
How to Apply
Those wishing to be considered must submit the following materials online:
- Statement of Interest
Outlining your connection to or interest in this project and how you foresee engaging with the community, how your work might translate to this project, and experience you have working on public projects. You can submit this information as either a 500 word (or less) written statement OR a two-minute or less audio or video clip. We will only play the first two minutes of audio for the panel.
- Previous Work, Digital Images
Four digital images of recent work. Each image should include title, year, media, location, project budget, dimensions, commissioning agency, and collaborators or design professionals (if applicable).
Do not provide or submit any other materials with your application. They will not be reviewed by the panel and will not be returned.