In June 2019, the Raleigh community came together for a conversation about gentrification with Kristen Jeffers, the founder and editor of The Black Urbanist. Kristen also is a freelance writer, urban planner, and advocate for improving the built environment in urban areas. She spoke at the event and moderated a panel discussion with:
- Pamela Wideman – Housing & Neighborhood Services Director, City of Charlotte
- Kia Baker – Executive Director, Southeast Raleigh Promise
- Yvette Holmes – Vice President for Resource Development & Partnership, DHIC, Inc.
- Asa Fleming – President, NC Association of Realtors & Realtor, Allen Tate Realtors
- Paul Kane – Executive Vice President/CEO, Home Builders Association of Raleigh-Wake County